Available in 1kg and 500g bags
MSM is used to relieve joint pain in aging horses and performance horses. It helps maintain healthy connective tissue, cartilage, bones, and hooves. It also supports a healthy skin and coat in horses.
Top 9 benefits of MSM in horses:
- MSM is involved in making the detoxifying antioxidant glutathione, one of the most important intracellular antioxidants. Having enough glutathione keeps tissues healthy, especially when they are stressed by exercise or disease.
- It reduces tissue damage after exercise by preventing oxidative damage, helping muscles recover quickly from exercise. It is also purported to increase circulation which may further support muscle recovery.
- MSM decreases exercise-induced inflammation, speeding up post-workout recovery and contributing to improved performance.
- It helps with pain relief (analgesic effect) in heavily worked horses and can improve their comfort.
- MSM helps improve joint pain in conditions like hock arthritis. It may also have a preventative effect by reducing some of the tissue degeneration that can contribute to arthritis.
- This macronutrient can improve your horse’s gait and stride, making walking and riding more comfortable.
- Horses supplemented with MSM have a healthier skin and coat because MSM supports keratin formation. Keratin is a protein that acts as a primary structural component of hair, hoofs and skin.
- MSM can support a healthy respiratory tract. Horses that have allergies to dust, pollen or moulds might breathe easier with MSM and avoid bouts of heaves.
- MSM supports the immune system during times of stress or disease. It can improve injury healing and recovery from illness. It also acts as an antioxidant and can promote detoxification of harmful heavy metals.
2 grams of MSM per 100 kg of body weight for horses and ponies. However, a higher amount may be required initially to observe a therapeutic effect.
For a 500kg horse, a dose of 20 g per day has been shown to have an anti-inflammatory benefit. You may choose to begin with a high loading dose (20 g per day) until you see improvements in their condition. Once improvement is noted you can lower the dose for maintenance to 10 grams per day.
There are no known side effects for MSM supplements in horses